Wednesday, September 14, 2011

More Telephone Exchanges

Family dinner tonight. My dad mentioned that his phone number growing up in Inglewood was ORchard something something, which is consistent with what I've learned about the Inglewood phone exchange.

My grandma said something with a TH or a TR, my memory is already fading. I'm thinking it's Thomwall, which would have been the Vernon or Central LA exchange. Which is about right. My grandma grew up near enough to old LA Wrigley Field. I'm sure at some point I'll write a post about the old minor league LA Angels.

I looked at the church I went to growing up, in Lomita. Lomita was DAvenport 5 and 6, and sure enough, the Church's phone number is 326. It's amazing how it all starts to fall into place when you look at the history. I've got an old Palos Verdes map coming up in a second, which is why I'm moving us over from Carson to Lomita. Someone tell the girl at the switchboard we need to place a call one town over.

No comments:

Post a Comment